Credit: bbc News
The vice-chairman of the UN's climate science panel has admitted it made a mistake in asserting that Himalayan glaciers could disappear by 2035.
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) included the date in its 2007 assessment of climate impacts.
A number of scientists have recently disputed the 2035 figure, and Jean-Pascal van Ypersele told BBC News that it was an error and would be reviewed.
But he said it did not change the broad picture of man-made climate change.
The issue, which BBC News first reported on 05 December, has reverberated around climate websites in recent days.
Some commentators maintain that taken together with the contents of e-mails stolen last year from the University of East Anglia's Climatic Research Unit, it undermines the credibility of climate science.
Dr van Ypersele said this was not the case.
"I don't see how one mistake in a 3,000-page report can damage the credibility of the overall report," he said.
"Some people will attempt to use it to damage the credibility of the IPCC; but if we can uncover it, and explain it and change it, it should strengthen the IPCC's credibility, showing that we are ready to learn from our mistakes."
The claim that Himalayan glaciers could disappear by 2035 appears to have originated in a 1999 interview with Indian glaciologist Syed Hasnain, published in New Scientist magazine.
Continue - glacers
THIS IS WHO I AM
- Utah, United States
- I am a retired grandmother who lost her husband of 42 years in 2010, to cancer. I relocated from Ventura, CA to a community near Salt Lake City, Utah to be with my son, daughter-in-law and two granddaughters. I am a believer in Jesus our Lord and in the true Sabbath as our worship day. I am learning more and more about what our role is here on Earth as well as what it will be when Yahshua returns. I love crochet, watercolors, and writing. My newest passion is writing. I am trying my luck at poetry and short stories. Maybe some day I will try to write a novel. I would love to hear from others who enjoy these crafts; come visit and share your interests.
JULY 4 - Time For Tea
The American people came out on July 4 to protest high taxes and run-a-way government spending. From 11:00 till 2:00 p.m., citizens of Ventura, CA came out to show their support for less taxes and less government interference. As a spectator and one who attended the first Ventura Tea Party, I would say we doubled the turnout of patriots.
All across the country the signs, flags and banners that were carried at the tea parties showed the position that the American people are taking toward its government. They are mad and they are not going to take it anymore!
THEY GET YOU THINKING!
- Yahshua is the way
- Political Pistachio
- Robert Ringer
- Christina Colwell, Artist
- Blackstone Institute
- Affiliate Marketing Coach
- The Truth Project
- California Family Council
- Truth and Reason
- Friedman Foundation - For Educational Choice
- Young American's Foundation
- GOPUSA - Republican Party
- Deficits Do Matter
- Phyllis Schlafly - Eagle Forum
- Alliance Defense Fund
- Focus on the Family
- Heritage Foundation
- Lensmaster Blue22d
- Lou Dobbs Radio Show